Thursday 18 June 2009

The Ringleader!

It’s interesting how we find ourselves gravitating towards like-minded people. Without even realising it, we end up being around people with similar interests, tastes and careers. Makes sense, I guess. People who like music will go to music events, meet people there, and then start to hang out. The best thing about situations like this is when you can join forces and start to work together on ideas.


In any project that requires you to raise your
head above the water, to come out of the mundane 9-5 and try to make it on your own, you need a unit around you! Like-minded people to form a force to push boundaries and break down doors! Metaphorically speaking of course! I’m not encouraging people to start going round breaking and-entering! But think about it, if you and all of those people you know who have similar tastes joined together, you could make things happen!

As I sat in my producer’s living room late last week, he referred to me as ‘the ring-leader’. My partner agreed, like it or not, I have become one of the ring-leaders in our musical family! I have to say, part of this might be down to my rather bossy nature but most of it is down to my attitude. ‘If you can’t do it for me, I will do it myself!’ I will happily start a new project and then get the rest of my family involved. It is for this reason that I now have a monthly show in the heart of Birmingham. I am a ring-leader and proud of it!

So having embraced this title, it makes sense that this radiates off me as I perform and go about my day-to-day. I am after all, entering into an industry where image is a huge deal! Problem with that is… I am not that into my appearance! It dates back to my ugly duckling days! I was never the most popular girl at school. Wasn’t the pretty one; the one with the big beautiful eyes or perfect skin! I was the smart one! The one you would get to do your homework for you or ask to be in your group so I could do all the legwork! I liked that. Besides I was a mad tomboy so was much happier in this role.


By 16, things changed though, I got into college and likewise into heels and lipstick. I love my heels and like most of the ladies, have a tonne of shoes! However, there are times, when I have a long list of things I need to do so will quite happily throw on a pair of trainers and a hoodie and leave the house without combing my hair! Not a problem right now, while I am ‘Miss Anonymous’. But give it a couple years and if I do that, I will no doubt end up on the cover of ‘Heat Magazine’ with the slogan: ‘Yelitza - Lost her mirrors and lost her mind!’

Now I knew from day one I was going to have to become much more image-conscious once I really got into the music, but it wasn’t until I hit America that it really hit home! I do believe they are the most image crazed nation…ever!

Luckily for me, over there being English is a style! Confused? I was too… at first. But it’s true. The way our clothes fit, the combinations we come up with, are very different to the way the Americans do it. Now the celebs in the magazines mix it up but there is still something about the way we dress here in the U.K. that intrigues them State-side. So I decided while I was over there to really take that look to another level. I put on the same pair of jeans and t-shirt I would wear back home but went a little overboard and put heavy beads round my neck and killer heels on! Not rocket science, not really ground-breaking, but effective! And before I knew it, I was creating my own style. A style that I have now tweaked so that back home in England it is still subtle but noticeable. Because if there is one thing we Birmingham folk like, it’s subtly. Nothing over the top like London fashion can be. Not too baggy or mix-and-match like it can be in the U.S. Just me! It finally clicked, I have to think about being a ring-leader in terms of my style and not just my actions!

So here then is the tip for this session:

For those of you looking to hit the big screen, work on your style from now!

Style: it took me a while to work out my style. I think on a day to day basis, I do have a certain way of putting an outfit together, but it’s different for the stage. At least you should try and think differently. Like the lyrics you sing, your clothes are a representation of you. It sounds obvious, but trust me I’ve seen it. People who turn up and they look like the audience. Have made no effort because it’s their fourth gig this month and they are tired. You never know who is in the audience! I can’t say it often enough. You have to dress for the job. If you want to be an artist dress like one from now. And if you are anything like me (on a budget) you will fast learn ways to dress according to your pocket but still make it work! What I mean is, if you don’t have the funds to buy expensive jewellery, then don’t wear any! Why wear a huge fake piece of bling around your neck when you could just as easily wear a wooden beaded necklace and look great. If you can’t afford those expensive hair extensions like Beyonce, stay natural. Work with the short styles until you can rock the fab locks.

And don’t get me wrong, you don’t have to be vain to look good. I don’t think I am vain, just aware! I know first hand that your audience are looking at every part of your stage performance. Not just how great you sound, but how you look! They are looking to you for style tips. Looking to you to help them feel like a celebrity too. They don’t care if you haven’t ‘made it’ yet. Why are you on the stage singing to them, asking them to pay to come in, if you aren’t going to dress up for them?

Something to think about...

Until next time,
Flutter

P.S. Don’t forget to drop me a comment to check out my web sites:
www.myspace.com/yelitzauk
www.yelitza.co.uk

Stay tuned to for more tips and don’t forget you can see me performing every month in Brum....email me for additional info litz_uk@yahoo.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm.... very sexy blog u had... :)


mens sports sunglasses

Anonymous said...

Honda Prices

Cigar Shop