Tuesday 16 June 2009

the joys of technology....

Our lives are supposedly easier now; we have self service machines at Tesco, thanking us for our patronage. We have automated telephone systems by which to pay our bills, and we even have 'smart' technology that can operate itself.

Despite all these advances, however, we are still (by and large) baffled when things do not quite go our way.

Last night I was attempting to transfer some files across to my hard drive; a simple enough task. Naturally, it was not and subsequently challenged me for the rest of the night.For some reason, the files just stopped copying over. Just like that. They became completely stubborn and decided to stall. Not only that, I was unable to close the application, so it remained frozen on my desk top.
So I was just sat, staring at my screen wondering what on earth I could do.

I searched far and wide, on all the internet forums, where people who seemingly have all the time in the world, trade Mac and PC secrets and advice. Despite searching this nerd domain, I had no love. Eventually i rang my Mac guru mate in a tizz, and she had to calmly explain the restart process. Not before telling me how hopeless I am. Not really adding to my self-worth regarding all things technical.

It made me wonder, however, how much do we really know anyway? I take for granted that when I press a button, it does what it is supposed to: usually switch itself on .

If it does not, I usually approach the closest male who
a) will know what to do OR.....
b) not know, but pretend that he does and by sheer force of will, fixes it anyhow.

I know that the day will come, when a savvy techy is not around, and I will have to fend for myself. That is why I am going to take matters into my own hands and start familiarising myself with all things technical. Much as that terrifies me. I could not handle another night of stress, yelling at my computer and utter bafflement.

It is not becoming, or conducive to this technically advanced era!


Words: Katie Cowell

1 comment:

Sophie Elder said...

So, so true - i've felt like strangling my lap top at times!