Wednesday 24 June 2009

Fat Chat: Music & Fashion entrepreneur A.Kay

The young & multi-talented A.kay has been writing songs for years and his music is very 8o’s influenced. He loves nothing more than to seek difference,and in his own words..." I tend to create experimental music which is aspired by; hip hop, electro, dance, techno and pop". We found out a bit more about the guy behind the music & fashion label.....


Hi A.Kay, you say your “Swagger and sound go hand in hand” how would you describe them both, as you state Fashion Design is also one of your many talents?

Well I’m really into being creative and also I love to take risks, this relays to my music and designs because they are both mirror images of my minds status and also what I’m interested in at the particular time. At present I have a great infatuation with the 80’z era and new rave colours, this can result in some of cloths being really bright or colourful and my music having that 80’s rap / pop dance the feel to it. But please understand I’m here to create quality and honest music! So in 10 years from now I will still listen and be proud! Lol


Who do you think in the music industry is doing big things right now and who if you had the chance would you like to do a collaboration with?

To be honest I feel a lot of people are doing and achieving great things at the moment, arstist such as: Tinchy, Bashy, Dizzee, N-Dubz, Wiley and chipmunk I feel are doing a lot in the commercial side of the game. But then I feel artist such as: Getz, Scorcher, Wretch 32, Kano and Skepta are doing well within the underground / independent label status.

Now in regards to whom I would collaborate with, to be real I would fly to Chicago and meet Mr Kanye West. He is one of my biggest inspirations within this game and I really admire his work. Plus it’s my dream to be an artist that can also collaborate with artists from the states, and create the link between the US and the UK.

PS “showing them that we do have urban talent” lol.


Your track ‘My Plimsole’ looks set to do big things... other than obviously “plimsole” what gave you the inspiration to write that track?

The inspiration of the track was really me looking into my past and also remembering as a child how I was forced to wear them by my mum, then thinking about the big turn around and how it became a new trend. Although they do differ from the ones I used to wear and now we have a big variety, its shocking to see how they have put; Nike, Adidas and Puma in a state of bother. Also because my partner creates some really good pairs for me which everyone asks me for! Lol


Who and what has shaped you into the artist you are today?

I feel as if all the people who rejected me and my ideas before has really helped me to be who I am today. This resulted in me working harder, bettering my skills and also finding my-self as an artist. Along with this close friends and family also have played a big role, plus completing a degree and finding my manager has really enabled my status at present. “I have a really long way to go, but my passion is to continue to create quality and new music of substance” also to be the UK’s Kanye West! Lol

Plus watching him and his existence within the industry has help me greatly, because there’s; no guns, no drugs and no lies! I seriously feel that your audience and fans need the truth, especially the younger generations.


You’re not signed to a major record label at the moment, how have you started to get your music recognised and your name out there?

Well…………… this is where the hard work really begins! Lol

At the moment I feel my music is promoted by “word of mouth”, I have done quite a few shows and posted my stuff on; Myspace, Facebook, Profile Pic and Twitter. I also have done a video and uploaded it on Youtube, I feel that I’m getting my music and name out there just through people hearing my stuff, but I wont lie it’s not easy! Also where I’m independent, it’s all funded by me and understands it’s not cheap .lol But I do feel we are doing well, because without no backing a lot of people are aware of the “plimsole” song and more than 1500 people have viewed the video to it on Youtube.


And for our totally random question....if you was the PM what is the first rule that you would abolish?

I would abolish” the sex age restriction of 16”!

I would change it to 18 to give people more time to understand and have knowledge of the implications / consequences behind sex, also maybe this will help to decrease to percentage of under age pregnancy.

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule and go check out the MYSPACE people!


Interview: Tanayha Mcleary

No comments: