Tuesday 10 March 2009

New Blogger: Singer/songwriter ...Yelitza


Name: Yelitza
Blog Name: Flutter
Age: ?
Occupation: singer/song writer /promoter

Welcome to the Fat Blog, Its great to have a female musician on board…. can you tell us a bit about yourself ?
Thank you for inviting me. My name's Yelitza, a singer / songwriter born and raised in Birmingham. I'm a huge fan of music, from RnB & Hip-hop to Reggae and Classical. I've been writing poems since I was 11 and began songwriting when I was 19. Since then I have performed in various places across Brum and up and down the country.

What inspires you as a songwriter?
Pretty much anything in life inspires me. I love to write about what's going on around me! From everyday things to the more complex things like relationships! I try to stick to subjects I have experienced, it's easier to draw from personal life helps you to get the content right. On occasion, I have written about people around me aswell. Strangely, nature is a big influence too! I love to talk about the stars and the countryside. Stuff we can take for granted or don't really pay much attention to. Think that's the day-dreamer in me! I'm also inspired by people with drive and ambition.

What would you say are the 3 most important pieces advice that have been given to you?
1.
Don't forget those who helped you to the top, 'cause you may just need them if you fall back
down to the bottom!
2. Patience, Persistence, Patience!
3. Always be polite and humble; you never know who you are talking to.

So your B’ham based entertainment event L.I.M.E (ladies in music & entertainment) is going from strength to strength can you tell us about that?
Yeah, the show is doing really well. It's a surprise because whenever you start something that relies on other people coming out to support, it's difficult to predict what will happen. It could have so easily been a flop! Thankfully I know a lot of great people. We're like one big family and we work together to make the show a success. Thank you so much guys (Ecks Famo). It's important to share your ideas, draw on other people's knowledge and work as a team. You can be more successful if you don't just keep things to yourself. That along with the fact that there are so many great talents in the city and a huge amount of people who like to see music Live has helped to build the show.

L.I.M.E. was set up to give myself and other female artists a place to perform. The reason I focused on the ladies was not because I'm against the guys, it's simply that most successful nights have a gimmick and what better way to entice the crowd then to know there will be a room full of ladies singing and rapping, dancing and chillin'. It's on the last week of every month (check myspace for details) and each month we have regular artists, a main featured artist and slots for new talent to show what they can do. Food is served first, then performances, then we hang out, jam and network. It's a brilliant atmosphere and everyone who has come through has said they had a great time!

From your personal experiences as a musician what opportunities does B’’ham offer ?
Apparently, Birmingham used to have a really big music scene. A lot of reggae bands, soul singers and popstars have come from here. Thing is, this has died down over the years and the opportunities have disappeared with it!
Of course, I can only speak from personal experience but I have to say, there does not seem to
be many opportunities in Brum. Don't get me wrong, there are some great venues here - The Jam House, The Yardbird, The O2 place... to name a few. Thing is, as a new artist, the doors are hard to open! There are so few places where you can go to simply develop your stage performance, build your confidence and spread the word about your music... at least I couldn't find many! That's why I created my own show!

I can sum up my feelings by simply saying... for the new artists, there are very limited opportunities but the city definitely has the potential for big things - watch this space!

What sort of things can our readers look forward to from your weekly feature?
Honesty! I think it's only fair you share what works and warn about what doesn't. I'd like to create a blog that gives readers a chance to see what an aspiring artist has to do in order to get heard. Tips, ideas, video blogs that sort of thing.

…and finally we always like to end on a random note so, if you could be sat around the dinner table with any 3 people past or present who would you choose & why?
Took me a while to decide on this, because there are so many people I would love to meet. I narrowed down to:

Luther Vandross - A musical legend of course! I love his music! Would love to have heard him sing live too.
Kat Williams - One of the funniest comedians out there. I love to laugh, so he'd have to be there.
Oprah Winfrey - An inspiring businesswoman. I feel I have a lot I could learn from Oprah plus I would love to go and work in her school in Africa!
We'd all like to take the opportunity to welcome Yelitza on board the 'Fattest' of blogs and we look forward to her weekly installments:)
Interview: Fusion

No comments: