Sunday 29 March 2009

Fat Chat: Designer & Artist Yetty D




Name: Yetunde Ogunnubi

Occupation: Artist/Fashion Designer

Links: www.yettyd.com


Yetunde Ogunnubi otherwise known as Yetty is the creative genius behind the company Yetty D. As an original contemporary artist Yetty has been commissioned to do portraits and has showcased her work in a number of exhibitions.


Over the last few years Yetty has been customizing and personalising one-off piece t-shirts with her unique designs. The end of 2008 saw the launch of her limited edition clothes, bags, jewellery, sneakers and scarves. Yetty D is definitely a creative force to be reckoned with and one that will be on every ones lips, hips, necks, wrists and feet in 2009!


Looking at both your design and artwork, you can see you have a love for what you do. Was designing and art always a first career choice for you?

Kind of, I always knew I was going to go into designing, I’ve always loved fashion from a young age, Infact, most of my mum’s old curtains went on me making bags, dresses from when I was 9years old, and art is close to my heart because I come from a background of Art lovers, My parents are both Artist themselves.


How easy or difficult was it to get to where you are now? Especially as a female urban designer in a mainly male dominated area of fashion.....

I t hasn’t been easy being in an industry mainly dominated by Men, but I’m very passionate about what I do, and I’m determined to be a successful urban designer, plus I think my styles are uniquely different from what is out there.


Where do you draw your inspiration for your work from?

My style is inspired by Contemporary Art, hip hop fashion, Rock and it also comes seamlessly through everyday experiences and the environment that we live in.


If you had to flee your home because of some world order crisis (play along!) and you had time to get only two items of clothing, what would they be and why?

The first thing will be a pair of jeans, because it can stand all weather, and because it could do without washing for a long time.

The second will definitely have to be my pair of Yetty D live, laugh, love, Sneakers. I love them to bits. And they are so comfortable walk in, plus it makes me stand out.


Describe Yetty D in a statement or sentence?

Yetty D is an Art & Fashion based Label with a Fusion of Afro/urban with a Western flavour; Versatility is the key with a focus on women, menswear, and kids-wear – indeed something for everyone.


And finally but certainly not least ........’ When I say, you say, we say, you say?..............................

Yetty D Rocks!


Thank you for your time Yetty, is there anything you would like to add?

You are Welcome Tanayha, and many thanks for putting me on the spot as well!


People can visit my website by going to www.yettyd.com or e-mail on yetty@yettyd.com or join my group on facebook http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=143992645256#/group.php?gid=2368794500


Cheers and Stay Fab!


Interview: Tanayha McLeary

1 comment:

Seun Johnson(Jamati) said...

It's great to see Yetty going places and getting the attention that she well deserves.She has paid her dues and I guess it's time for her to get her groove on!!Love her designs and fusion of cultures......and don't mind getting my own one-off piece soon.