Monday 23 March 2009

a foul stench in the air



MEGABUS:
It is cheap for a reason.

Last weekend, in a bid to save cash, I braved the 4 and a half hour journey to Manchester onboard Megabus. Friday evening, after a sedentary day at work, is not conducive to a long coach journey. That being said, I was prepared to sit back, doze and remember the cash I was saving.

Unfortunately this was not the case. Instead, I had the misfortune of being sat behind a rather large woman. Not only did she have a screaming child perched on her knee, she was also the owner of the most horrendous body odor I had smelt in a long, long time. It was a pungent scent that assaulted my nose- hitting me straight on. Every time she shifted, a new and even more nauseating wave emanated my way.Coupled with the crowding on the bus, unopened windows, heating turned up to full and no chance of fresh air, this was a journey I do not ever care to repeat.

Coming into summer, this is an especially contentious issue. As welcome as summer will be (especially after this painfully long winter) I am dreading the legions of people who somehow have no concept of their own stench. Why do people not see the need in
a) wearing deodorant
b) washing their clothes regularly?

I am baffled and repulsed in equal measures every time I am confronted with such foulness. In places like the gym, bad Body Odor is tolerable, if not unpleasant.

In the work place it is awkward, and at times nauseating. But in confined public spaces it is downright vomit inducing.

Among friends and colleagues, it is a sensitive issue - but usually some brave spark can take it no longer and something is said.

What do we say, however, when the stranger is the offender? How much can we maintain a polite front whilst trying not to suffocate?

Despite my not so subtle sighs, under my breath comments about rank B.O. and audible shifting in my seat, i did not have the nerve to actually say anything to this woman. Save for spraying her with industrial strength deodorant, what else can we do?

I suppose we must just suffer in silence and pray that these people show us mercy in summer!!


Words: Frontpage

No comments: