Thursday 12 March 2009

Tawiah - Get to know

So, Tuesday just gone I’m up central with a mate and its pouring down like too many beers and a bad curry. Just as we got out of the Oxford Street tube this upper class old lady behind us goes, “Excuse me do you know where I might find a shop that sells umbrella’s near here?” True story, I tell her to wait right there with my mate and I rush round the corner to that off licence, you know, the one which looks like it’s been there for 300 years and the city was just built around it. I check and he does have a few going, so I pick one up… [£3 if you ever get caught out there, don’t say I never hook you up with the essentials]… walk back round to the lady open it up and hand it to her with a soft, ‘there you go, don’t want to get too wet now do we’. Kindly she asks how much she owes me and obviously I’m not gonna take no p’s from her so I just tell her it was my pleasure, which it was. The look on her face, it was mixed with surprise and deep warmth. I mean, I know what she was thinking, ‘I cannot believe this young black man off road in an Era cap who didn’t know me from Adam went out of his way for me’. And you know what? I guarantee she’ll be telling that story for a while at her members club. That feeling, when you feel so good because you know you’ve been able to contribute to someone else fortune? Well I feel like that every time I go to HMV or Itunes and know that my hard earned cash is going into the hands of an artist or producer who actually deserves it. Tawiah being one of those. She’s probably one of the few singers I wouldn’t go on screw face about for parting with a few nuggets to see live, because lets face it, most times you have to weigh up the pro’s and cons before any night out which starts with £30 at the door. But the thing about this young starlet is she is to the music industry what 3 extra stone would be to Amy Winehouse, a very good, beautiful and healthy thing. She is also what Erykah Badu would’ve been like if she was born in the 80’s, came from London and knew Mark Ronson.

Tawiah singing ‘Gone’



P.S Check out her myspace, one of my fav. songs 'Everystep' is up there. And if for some strange reason you're not feeling it, go drown yourself in an old people's home toilet.

www.myspace.com/tawiah

Bless

Freestyle

No comments: