Tuesday 24 March 2009

First Impressions.....


Apparently a first impression takes 7 further 'encounters' to alter the persons perception of the initial impression......ie.....be a miserable cow the first time you meet someone and people will generally believe you are like that unless you prove them otherwise on 7 consecutive occasions; and thats if you even get to do that after your down turned mouth, huffy attitude and crossed arms didn't warn them off for life.

Impressions therefore are crucial to your Networking and business development, and if you are self employed you are literally a walking billboard for your business and no matter whether chilling with friends or in a business environment, you still represent your product or service.  Pants sometimes, but just the way it is.  

In the creative industries, in my personal experience anyway, work and future commissions have certainly been received from networking, meeting new faces and generally getting yourself out there.  So being friendly and accommodating and also making sure you mention your business (but not force it down peoples throats!) is in my eyes, essential.  Also....thank those that have passed on your name.  Shout about those that you have networked with.  People love to have something or someone great to recommend....so give them someone to (you!) and also go on to recommend them.  

Another little fact I learnt today is people will generally moan about a company before they praise it, so bad impressions are more likely to get out than good one's.  For instance, I met a 'model' (apparently!) the other week who was snotty, bad tempered, rude and to be honest a big pain in my arse.  She refused to get in pictures, slumped her shoulders when we managed to staple her to the floor long enough to get some snaps and then continued to moan after the job about how poorly she felt and how she would photograph terribly anyway.  To this day, it still lights a little fire in my belly and makes me just a bit mad!

Anyway, I have not once mentioned to anyone all the positive things from that shoot, the other people involved, the fact we actually got some ok pictures and the wonderful rest of the day I had; the only thing I have mentioned, almost boasted about is this miserable b**ch that stood in front of me like a stroppey teenager.  I will not be recommending her or her agency, I will not be working with her again (even though she sent me a message a few days later wandering if I would be interested in doing some pics?!) and I will only remember her strops.  Basically, she ain't getting nothing but bad press.

I think that is evidence enough of the whole First Impressions Count lecture.

Foto x


No comments: