Tuesday 2 June 2009

Fat Chat: Jewellery designer 'Saba Azam'

Saba Azam is a talented self taught jewellery designer based in London whose designs are a fusion of modern flavours with a cultural twist. All of her designs are individual or one-off and handcrafted by Saba Azam herself. Since showcasing her first designs at a trade show in 2007 and receiving such a positive response Saba Azam Jewellery has been going from strength to strength. The passion and the love of being creative sparkles through clearly, Saba Azam jewellery is definitely for the person who wants that little something extra special...


Welcome Saba, You can see a lot of care and thought have gone into your designs, have you always had a passion for jewellery?

Yes. Although I graduated in a completely different discipline, I had always had a passion for jewellery from a very young age. I love wearing big, bold pieces of jewellery. One day 4 years ago I decided to make a pair of earrings using some plastic beads and string. I wore it when I used to go out and people loved it. That encouraged me to make pieces for family and friends as gifts, and I moved from using plastic beads to using crystals and wire. I took some formal training in beading and silversmithing. I have now started to incorporate gemstones such as rubies and emeralds.



Once you started making your designs how did you get yourself recognised?

I began with craft fairs in several boroughs in 2008. These were tiring but very enjoyable! I would have a contact list at each event for people to put their contact details. That was a great way to know how many people were interested in my work.

I took part in a fashion show in the summer of 2008. I did a one week pop-up shop through Craft Central in Islington earlier this year. Other than that, I have advertised on Facebook and have my own website www.sabaazam.com

Although people are more aware of my jewellery, I think there are really no bounds on brand awareness and I still have a long way to go!


Some of your designs have an Asian style to it, has this culture played a part in your inspiration as a designer?

Definitely. I think the main cultural influences on my jewellery are Arabic and Asian. I grew up in the Middle East and absolutely love their extravagant styles and colours of jewellery. I am from an Asian background which adds to the mix of styles.



How would you describe the style of Saba Azam?

My signature style according to me is unique, bold, stylish and elegant. My jewellery has an east-west fusion, where the colours are bright, yet the style is classy and contemporary such that any woman can wear it.





Being a jewellery designer you don’t get as much publicity as a clothing designer, has this affected your progress?

Of course clothes have more publicity, and there is more demand for clothes. This in turn means there are more clothing fashion designers out there. Sure, there are a lot of jewellery designers, but I feel that my jewellery is very different from what is present in the market at the moment. My work involves beading mostly, but the way I use the materials, and the designs I end up with are very different from the usual run-of-the-mill jewellery. There is increasing demand for jewellery which involves less use of gold, especially in our current economic climate, and my jewellery fits in perfectly.

Compared to clothes designers my product is easier to sell, as it fits everyone, there is no need for any measurements, which is great. Unfortunately, when entering fashion shows, I have to find a clothes designer who would be willing to use my jewellery on their models, as they seem to get priority on showcasing their work.





And finally but by all means not last my random question to you is

‘What’s the meaning of paradise?’

I am a very spiritual person, and I believe Paradise to be where virtuous people go to when they die. The meaning of ‘virtuous’, or good, may differ according to each person, and if I were to explain my view it would lead us onto a completely different topic!

But generally, all the good actions that you do in your life, and that which affects people around you in a positive way is just a small part of the paradise to come…hopefully!


Thank's for fitting us into your busy schedule.... is there anything that you would like to add?

You’re welcome. I’d just like to mention my website where you can view my work. Its http://www.sabaazam.com/ and my Facebook page is Saba Azam Jewellery. Thank you!


Interview: Tanayha Mcleary



No comments: