Monday 24 November 2008

Feel inspired........

The Fat Chat meets up with the founder of Purple Creations Ltd

Name: Donna-Marie Glashen
Age: Still relatively young
Occupation: Director
Links: http://www.thesecret2men.com/

What’s your background & who inspired you?
Well I started my working life @ the age of 15 in customer service roles & volunteering at media organisations such as Choice Fm and New Nation Newspaper. I always wanted to be a writer and business woman, and travel the world. Admittedly I did get distracted by socializing between the ages of 19-22, but managed to stay focused & continued along the educational route, I also managed to travel extensively. For me writing was a natural progression, I started reading from the age of 3 and wrote my first book at 6....which got stolen!

My Mother & Father have both been an inspiration to me, along with Maya Angelou & Oprah Winfrey.


Tell me about Purple creations?

“Purple Creations is a conglomerate of Donna. For me personally, I believe that creativity is organic so it includes workshops and events that allow people (not just women) to explore creativity and its infinite possibilities. It’s also about creating platforms for women to empower & express themselves, learn & share knowledge. The projects are varied including international & regional platforms. For me personally, my creative career needs anonymity and I have found this to be an interesting tool. I guess I need to let you know how people can get involved?...Anyone interested in the arts can be added to my subscription list by contacting info@purplecreations.net”

Donna’s newest venture is a website called theSecret2men.com. It is designed to increase self esteem & confidence around attracting the right man into your life. Donna says “I believe in female empowerment, women have a very important role in society - we give birth to a nation. So ladies do you feel that you deserve something good in your life? If so sign up to http://www.thesecret2men.com/


So what has been the secret to your success…..so far ?

“Failure! In order to succeed you have to be ready for failure, for everything that has been successful there has probably been five things that didn’t work out. I feel that being humble and working within grass roots organisations and projects in various London community settings gave me the initial successes in my career such as documentary making, producing national training resources; a literature festival and international art projects and also having my freelance writing and creative stories published.
I learned how to make something out of nothing with little resources and money, just creative problem solving and working with team players. We are born equal, but socialization means that some have more access to knowledge and guidance than others, however, I think if you come from a so called ‘disadvantaged background’ you should share the knowledge, the old saying is ‘for each one teach one’.

Additionally, I always remember my Father telling me from a young age that the people that make the real money are behind the scenes; so that’s where I have aimed to be. It is also important to have a strategy, don't hanker for fame & adulation. At the back is often where the power is, its not always about being at the fore front and taking all the glory.


What are your 5 key pieces of advice for fellow creative starting out in their field?

1/ Understand what makes you passionate

2/ Hold on to your integrity and never trade it in for anything; be clear on your beliefs and values

3/ Understand that you are the author of your life

4/ Remember, it’s not good to do things prematurely, take your time and set yourself up for the long term

5/ Last but not least…..it’s only ever your own thoughts that stop you achieving your full potential


And finally that age old argument.... Britney or Christina Aguilera?

This is a hard one, Britney has done the Diva thing, we have seen her at her best and worst and that’s what the public like – somebody who they can relate to, gossip about and who makes them feel better about their own circumstances. However Christina can actually sing, but I am not sure about her current offerings…can I say neither?


Donna is continuously looking for like minded people to connect with so if you want to get involved contact Donna on any of the above

Interview: Fusion

No comments: