Sunday 9 November 2008

Mr Pins....THE FAT CHAT


Co founder of the Ugly Kids Club and designer who has already has his touch of fame (he has designed for Mariah Carey, Kelly Rowland, Cheryl Cole and Usher already!) he talks to us about his fashion label & what motivates him to succeed, plus his love of all things sweet.....

Name: PINS
Age: Sweet 25
Occupation: Creative Therapist
Links: www.myspace.com/pins83 or coming soon www.pinspired.com

PINS - so where does that name come from?
My name and brand is broken down to 'Pins Imagination Never Sleeps' and it doesn't. I am a jack-of-all trades but first & foremost a creative. I specialize in clothing customization and use various application techniques like airbrush, spray can art, hand painting and Swarovski crystals. I also love food which is reflected in my designs, you need to feed creativity! For me my work is based on 5 core topics that i think about daily; Success, Hunger, Freshness, Money and Randomness!
How does the whole graffiti & fashion thing work, was it a natural combination for you?
To be honest my roots are not graffiti based however I do seek inspiration from it, not the swaggish street scribbles but the art. I've adopted certain style from current and past veterans and created my own approach but on clothing. Graffiti and clothing mix so well because of the contrasting elements...you can take a plain garment drop some graf on it and POW, you have something totally unique. Its nice to know Graffiti can be just one of the things i can use within the PINS label, i pick up things quite easily and feel its getting to that time to move on, maybe to something very different!
How do you find being a male in the world of fashion?
I love it! College was great and although there have been difficult instances in relating to some other designers in the industry, i cant really complain!
Your designs are quite unusual and seem to present the viewer with a question - where does your inspiration come from & what motivates you?
All my designs are unique, concept based and limited to 50 per pint. I like things nobody else has and like to mirror this in what o do or how i do it. I am constantly inspired by life. My mum has been a huge inspiration & my drive and determination stem from her positive attitude. I also find the youth work I do with various community organizations can do wonders as a source of motivation. Current entrepreneurs are also inspiring like Richard Branson or Nigo, they have made various accomplishments in their lives. I find myself naturally adopting similar style to extend my business.
Any long range objectives?
To succeed in what I love to do, and open a Krispy PINS donut restaurant complete with Oompa Loompass to run it!
In it for the love or the Money?
Both, the money helps to feed my compulsive eating disorder!
What would your friends say about you?
That i am sonic and very motivated. I am always eating or thinking about food, I love dessert. Maybe a donut...the new chocolate mint drizzle is krispilicious and part of the latest Chocolate Carnival edition. Get to know!
What advise can you offer up and coming entrepreneurs?
Get focused, get rid of all the irrelevant things in your life. Travel, network, tidy your room and get organized. Believe in yourself and your product, plus fix up and look sharp, like PINS!
Last but not lease, what flavor donut would you be?
Chocolate with custard in the middle and Belgian chocolate coating with silver pin shaped hundreds and thousands. IT would be called 'Sweet Pinalicious' and limited to just 50 like my tees.

Thank you Uncle Pins!
To buy merchandise and exclusive clothing log onto Pins my space account!

No comments: