Friday 16 January 2009

Photographer 'Luc Coiffait'

Name: Luc Coiffait

Age: 20

Lives: Newcastle-upon-Tyne,England

Job: Landscape/Fashion Photographer


How long you been interested in photography?
I’ve always messed around with a camera on family holidays and stuff, but only really took it seriously when i got my first ‘real camera’ (dslr) 2 years ago.


What interests you about Landscape -I notice that urban landscape doesn’t feature very much in your work?
Having grown up in the countryside I’ve always felt more at home photographing there, and living in Northumberland means I have some of the best locations for landscape photography right on my doorstep.

What elements are shared in your fashion work?
Because of my love for landscape photography I like to do all my fashion work on location, usually somewhere interesting which adds to the feel of the image.


What are your views on camera techniques, versus the manipulation of prints using software such as Photoshop etc?
Personally I like to do as much as I can in camera, this gives a truer reflection of the moment you have just captured. On some occasions though, fashion work needs that little bit extra.


Do you have any strong views on Digital as opposed to Film, Colour as opposed to Black & White?
I personally prefer film for its quality and satisfaction value, but digital is just more practical and less can go wrong.


Are you interested solely in stills or do you have any interest working in cinematography?
For now I will stick to stills, maybe when finances allow i will try something new.


What are your views on Photography & the internet and issues of copyright?
The internet is a great way of getting your images seen by millions but the dark side is how some people use your images. For example a guy from london regularly copies my gf’s work (Lara Jade - larafaire on deviantart). He recently used the same model, stylist and make up artist on a shoot. This shoot was done in a place just outside a small town where Lara lived and has shot at herself for most of her work. This means he travelled from London, the photography capital of the UK packed with locations, to a small town near Birmingham using the same team Lara had, and shot similar but not as equally impressive images.
Things like that concern me, I believe in crediting your inspiration source if sourced from someone elses creative work. But at the end of the day, people who do this wont get far, as everything they do would have already been done!


Will landscape & fashion continue side by side in your Photography or do you think Fashion will ultimately dominate?
Well the bottom line is, fashion will pay the bills, Landscape wont. I like shooting both, but prefer landscape so i will shoot fashion for work and continue landscape as a hobby and something to get away from it all.


I know you’re still very young, but is there any advice you would pass on at this stage?
Get out and about using your camera every day! I used to travel to a new location nearby every Sunday with my mum, then gradually shot more and more often. Make sure your developing a unique and original talent in yourself =] hope thats ok?



LUC IS CURRENTLY FEATURED IN THIS MONTH’S PRACTICAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND HAS EMBARKED ON A JOINT PROJECT WITH PHOTOGRAPHER LARA JADE (FASHION/FINE ART/PORTRAIT). 2009 IS GOING TO BE AN INTERESTING YEAR.
A PHOTOGRAPHER TO WATCH.


A Selection from Luc’s Work can be seen on fattalent.com with links to his website.


Interview: John warwick and thanks to Luc for squeezing us into his busy schedule

No comments: