Saturday 18 July 2009

Fat Chat: hip hop's rising star.....Kobi Onyame



Fresh off the back of his Glastonbury debut, we get the lowdown on emerging hip hop sensation 'Kobi Onyame'.....remember the name as you'll be hearing plenty of it.

In 2008, he released his first CD album "Unsigned & Hungry Vol. 1" (released under his initial stage name "Jae P") through his 8182 Recordings imprint, before rebranding himself "Kobi Onyame" later the same year (Kobi being an acronym for his real name and "Onyame" being the Akan word for "God").

Kobi will be gracing the 'Fat Talent' stage on Fri 14th Aug so don't miss that one...this is what the man himself had to say....


Welcome Mr Onyame....tell us about your background and how it all started for you....


I was born in Ghana, West Africa and moved at a very young age to England. Since the age of 6 I have moved between the UK and Ghana regularly and thus been able to learn and use to my advantage the different cultures. I apply my multicultural upbringing to my music a lot.

I started making beats from about age 14 on a program called Cool Edit. I then started to write my own raps and record them on my tape recorder. I have always been interested in music but didn't take an active interest in it until during my undergrad studies in Ghana. I was part of a crew called the Haatsville Project and we recorded a couple of mix-tapes and albums that were never released.

Returning to the UK, I started to put my solo stuff out there (under the name Jae P initially) and then released my first album "Unsignd & Hungry Vol. 1" independently in 2008.



Listening to your music, you appear to have a love for positive and inspiring lyrics.
Who Inspires you the most musically?

I get asked this question a lot and I've only recently been able to give a definite answer. Growing up, I've listened to many emcees and music styles. They each inspire me in their own way. I loved the way Jay-Z would rhyme and play with words. The conscious and thought provoking lyrics or Talib Kweli and Common would always make me step my game up. I would however say that the one rapper who has influenced me the most would be Kanye West. This is because I feel of all the rappers and artists I've listened to, I feel I can relate to him the most. He has never been afraid to speak for the common man. I remember listening to his record "Spaceship" on his first album and feeling like - there must be so many people out there who will be able to relate to this mans concept of hating your job and wanting to just fly away to another place and time. I didn't get that from any other rapper.


What are your short and long term goals?

My short term goals. Well I have a new single "He Said She Said" which features Sway. I want to give it the promotion it deserves and then go on to continue recording my next album Green Green Grasses which I want to put out next year. I also want to increase my awareness by doing more shows across the country.



One of my favourite tracks of yours is "who you no" and it appears to be getting radio play on some high profile stations... What's the story behind this track?

Who You Know is a club record. I was listening to a Jay-Z record "Encore" and decided to cut and loop a line he says "who you know fresher..." I just liked it. The funny this was, i made the beat with the idea of pitching it to a few other UK artists but wanted to record a verse to give people an idea of what it could sound like. DJ SHortee Blitz at Kiss was first to jump on that track and supported it from late 2008 on his show and blog. It was the first single from the free mixtape I put out recently called "Kobi Onyame Stories... The Best & The Worst"


If you could collaborate with any artist UK or international who would it be and why?

UK artist would be Sway. I have done that with my new single "He Said She Said" and I'm well happy with that! I'd say Kanye West on the international scene because I've always been a fan first and would love to see what him and I could come up with in the studio!


And finally we always like to end on a random note so here goes..... If you could have three super powers what would they be and how would you use them?

BIG question. I'd have 3 of the powers from the Captain Planet kids! Heart, Earth and maybe Water? With heart i could heal the world and we can all be friends. With earth and water I could feed the world?????????


Thanks for your time Kobi and really looking forward to following your career....checkout the Kobi Onyame links below:

MYSPACE
TWITTER
BLOG


Interview: Emily J Harrison






-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: