Saturday 1 August 2009

oh what a week...

Wednesday 29th July 2009

Artists, Mariamour, Sykes and I went to promote my monthly show L.I.M.E. – Ladies in music and entertainment at Newstyle Radio (huge supporters of our music). We are often invited (or invite ourselves) to go live on air and plug the show. We sing and laugh and joke. It’s so cool.

So... we were on the Wednesday show and the girls arrived before me, because I was busy in the studio trying to get some jingles done for the DJs.


When I arrived they were about to start a competition to give away some tickets. Now I had ‘3’ or ‘4’ in mind as the number of tickets to give away. So when it was suggested we give away 10, I gasped, looked at the guys and smiled an unconvincing smile. The others made a joke of it and I thought, you know what, alright then. Let’s do this! I consoled myself by thinking that if we give the tickets out one at a time, we will potentially have 20 people coming through, 10 of which will buy a ticket...live! Problem was as I was so late and the show was drawing to a close, the 10 singles became 5 pairs to save time and these tickets became entry with food! Oh my gosh! What was I thinking? To top it off, getting caught in the moment, with phones blowing off and excited callers requesting tickets for them, their partners and best friends, let’s just say by the end of the competition, I had given away 6 pairs of tickets and 1 single. My heart was beating at rather an alarming rate and I had to get some air! All I could think was how am I going to cover the cost of the night with so many freebies? The feeling of nausea eventually passed and I figured I would work it out somehow. I composed myself and gave my jingles to the prospective DJs.


The first DJ took his jingles and went about his DJ-ing business. The second DJ listened to my jingle and went a little quiet.


See with his jingle, I had gone a little crazy and at the end, told him to ‘flex his musical pecks’. I thought it was hilarious. He however, did not seem to share my humour! In fact I get the feeling the DJ thought it was anything but funny! He may have thought it was going to make him seem a little vain maybe. A little self absorbed? He actually said that it made him sound like some huge geezer with bulging pecks. Lol, clearly the musical pecks thing was being taken literally. I never meant it this way. I meant it in terms of his tunes are so banging, so heavyweight that they are like pecks! Musical pecks.... Get it? I guess not everyone can take my musical humour huh! Thankfully, by Friday he had come around and I think that with a little tweaking here and there, he will eventually play the jingle. Whether or not he will keep the ‘pecks’ part, we will have to see.


Thursday 30th July 2009


Last Thursday of every month, L.I.M.E. currently has residency at The O Bar, Broad Street, Birmingham.

I have to say a huge thank you to all who continually help to make the show a success. I am becoming more and more certain of the fact that, no matter how much you want something, or how hard you work, there is nothing more effective and productive then working as a team; working with a group of like-minded people. I have a very clear view of what I want the show to be and to become, and sometimes I cannot see other avenues, other possibilities. That’s when the working family comes in. They can give objective views. Suggest ideas that you may not have thought of or may not have seen the benefit of.


The show was fabulous! Hosted by myself and Sykes as our resident host is off sunning himself in Mozambique. We had songs from:


Coco Brown, Candice Fontaine, Justice, Mendi, NaomiMighty, Mariamour, Sykes and Me.


All of the competition winners showed up and I could see that they were going to be a tough crowd! They came early and looked a little out of place as they sat and waited for the show to begin. By the end of the first track, the audience were chilled, relaxed and comfortable! The atmosphere in the place is one you have to experience yourself! Having enjoyed good food prepared by our in-house cooking genius, the newcomers settled to watch the local talent that Birmingham has hidden ampongst its residents.

They clapped in the right places, cheered us on and made us feel very much appreciated (thank you guys).


At the end of the evening, we networked, danced and hung out for a while before heading off to our separate corners of the city.


If you haven’t been yet you have to come through. It’s a wonderful vibe inside and plus, L.I.M.E. needs your support!


I set up the show to provide a place for us ladies to strut our stuff and if you are in any doubt that Birmingham has talent, I challenge you to come to a show and then say the same thing, thereafter!


The next show is: August 27th, 7.30 ‘til 11pm.


I have so many things on my plate at the moment. Lots of things are falling in to place but it means there is so much to do. So much to do and so little time. I am very frustrated that I am missing deadlines and so I am going to take a week out next week to gather my thoughts and tie up lose ends. Did I mention this week will be spent in Malta? Yeah, I feel I need some time in the sun away from it all to gain a little perspective. Plus I am shattered! I have to wear so many hats! The daughter, the friend, the girlfriend, the teacher, the promoter, the singer! I need a time out to relax before I fall over!


It is with that thought I leave you in the early hours of Sunday morning.


As much as you want something, as much as you a bursting to get to the finish line! Don’t forget to take some time out for yourself. Especially if you are starting to lag behind, to miss deadlines and hence opportunities. Don’t just up and leave, but tie up what you need to and then... just back away! Just for a moment... regroup and come again.


I shall speak to you once I return next week. Refreshed, rejuvenated and ready to go.


Until then people have a good one.

Flutter

No comments: