Thursday 28 May 2009

"well can uncle John JUST tile my bathroom?!"

Weekly pic update here we come. Ok so thought I would write something useful or at least try. I am not feeling witty today (I blame the sun, I usually manage to muster up some wit at least) so onwards & upwards with a burst of knowledge to tell you lovely people. Naturally, we are going to be focusing on photography and a few odd bits and bobs really which I think you may find useful.

The most feared question by all photographers is "do you mind just taking a few pics if your there anyway." or ...."Oh can you just snap a pic of Uncle Ron."

This drives photographers (ok maybe just me) I-N-S-A-N-E!!!!!!!!! So, if your mum who just happens to be an accountant was at the party and I turned up and asked her to have a browse through my taxes would that be acceptable?! If your brother was a builder and I rocked up with a shelf that needed a bracket fixing or a load of bricks and cement asking him to knock me up a quick shed, would he do it....would you think I was insane?! If you get asked this question - KNOW your answer.

Basically you are your photos. EVERY photograph you EVER take you will be judged on. As a photographer that is what people do. And as a photographer why would you want to take a bad picture? Every pic you take you will try 100%, you will put all your effort into and want it to be good. So 'Just' taking a quick snap should not be an option for you.

It is a good idea to start with clear definitions. I have done the whole guest & photographer thing and it doesn't work, you are either one of the other. You bring all your equipment, wear your comfy shoes and get the picture you and the friend / client are after OR you put on your heels, wear your favorite skirt and have nothing in your handbag but some lippy & your i-phone.

QUICK TIPS......
1) Bounce your flash off white walls or corners to create a softer look and to avoid blinding your subject

2) Set your ISO to the lower value rather than the higher. Use as low as you can get away with to avoid noise. (If you are using the 5D Mark 2 you will not need to worry about this, that bad boy can go up to 1600 easily!)

3) Experiment with angles. Don't move your subject, you move! Stand somewhere it makes you feel uncomfortable and get a new view.

4) Use the history tool brush on Multiply (darker) or Screen (lighter) to adjust the shades and highlights on your image where you might usually dodge and burn. The effect is far more subtle and you have far more control over the exposure changes and colour.

More next week - if there is something you want to ask / want to rant about or want to know......give me a shout and i will post! carli@carli-art.co.uk.

PS: Competition to follow - win 'How to Photograph Almost Anything!' Details to follow in next few weeks.


Carli x

No comments: