Tuesday 19 May 2009

nocturnal capers......


Good morning,

I've become somewhat nocturnal lately & most of this evening was spent in artistic turmoil & anguish as at about 9pm i came to the conclusion that i was shit.It happens every now & then & is usually down to me not being too sure exactly what im doing. In this case it's mutants.

Long story short: I'm designing & building some futuristic power armour for some film students in my spare time......may as well. I've already built some of it but we're currently between workspaces till monday. So i figured seeing as though they want some mutants as well, i might do a couple of cool little beasties to entertain myself as i havent made a monster in years - it's all been quite serious stuff lately. I had a pretty cool idea in my head of something i was going to try based on a mash of ideas inspired by The Thing, Wicked City....stuff like that. I quickly sculpted up a nasty little monster head & gleefuly painted it all gory & shit. Then i started the next one............I wasnt really too sure about this one from the start. I thought i knew what it was going to be but it just wasnt working out. This doesnt bother me as sometimes i can have 3 or 4 false starts before doing something cool but tonight was just stupid.



Day & night became one as i sat at my desk & tried to
channel my mind through my hands. It didnt work.

By 6ish i had something i was happy with & carried on.
But as i did more & more ideas floated around (none of

them particularly good) & soon my kind of okayish monster had become a mash of confused ideas that were also half thinking that i need to get on with a zulu warrior (i'll get into that some other time). Frustration bubbled into anger which boiled away like the magma of hell before imploding out of exsistence with the final realisation - This is shit. I am shit. Oh shit.With hindsight i can now say that all i needed to do was just realise that todays not the day for sculpting. Especially when you dont even know what you're sculpting. Dont get me wrong its cool to sometimes just jump in & see what happens as alot of the time some cool things happen. But today wasnt one of those days. I should have just said f**k it im going to go to sainsburys or something. But instead i pushed on & tried to force it & just ended up forcing my head in.

It's all good now though. I've had time to step back & re-build my mind to the point where im ready to do something that i think will be cool.So is there any moral or even point to any of that? Not really.....i'm just blogging. I told Ady i would. I've never blogged before so who knows whats going to transpire. This could end up being the journal of my descent into psychosis. Or it might be a load of rubbish with some interesting photos of stuff ive made. Or it might be something i do for a while & then gradually not bother?I do plan to come back for now & spill my thoughts into the internet & show you stuff. So in the meantime here's a picture or three of my work to keep you entertained. If there's no pics then i've messed it up & will later come to realise that it is in fact the simplest thing to do.
Mr monster...there he is up at the top:)

Bye for now


------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: