Saturday 23 May 2009

girl about town: denim look Leggings..........WTF!!!


It was a sad and lonely Wednesday when I decided after being dumped (by a species unworthy of a name check!), that I would go and embark on a bit of retail therapy. The day was pleasant enough (only had to wear a cardi!) so I headed down to London’s west end. After trawling in and out of most of the generic fashion stores oxford street has to offer and about 20 bags of crisps later (it helps the depression) I ended up in Topshop.


I know this is the first stop for many high street fashionista’s but I can’t stand the hustle and bustle of the place and the lack of size variety..............anyways! I was busy looking at the basic tees when I came across them, from the corner of my eye they shouted at me to look at them, feel them, be at one with them but I couldn’t help to be but horrified by them.I actually laughed out loud, I didn’t care who saw me but ‘denim look leggings........WTF???!!’, are they for real???


Even as I am sitting here writing this I am still scratching my head. I know the 80’s look is very popular now and high street stores are trying to give the punters what they want BUT they have to draw a line somewhere! I need to see the female form can actually look good in these and maybe...just maybe I will give them the innovative style respect they deserve.


As that day was quite a depressive day for me and this was the first thing that actually put a smile on my face all day, I decided to buy some and try them on at home (more fool me eh!). Now what I seemed to forget was I am 5ft 2” and a size 14. HOW did I even have the audacity to think this would help boost my confidence!?


The situation ended like this, the denim leggings and receipt back in the Topshop bag and me watching ‘sex in the city’ with a bottle of Vino and stuffing my face with a large bag of Thai sweet chilli crisps.


I wouldn’t say everything about the leggings were terrible, they felt comfy and had a nice fit and in two shades of dark light wash and a pop at £20 they are worth the money BUT ...this look is only good if your 5ft 10”, under a size 12 and oh yeah if you could rewind time back to the 80’s. I am passionate about style and a slave of fashion, I am also a believer in individuality but this was taking the mick mate.


Bought to you by a very distressed Tanayha McLeary

No comments: