Tuesday 25 August 2009

Fat Chat: The talented Wreh-asha

Name: Wreh-asha

Occupation: Singer / songwriter /actress

Age: 23 (only just!)

Links: http://www.myspace.com/wrehasha


Hailing from the East Midlands, Wreh-asha .D. Walton is fast gaining a reputation as a gripping singer/songwriter who over the past year has embarked on aflourishing career filled with musical promise. Now at Twenty-two yearsold,with lippy lyrics and tones encompassing nuances of Neo-soul, Jazz, and even Reggae tainted tracks, ‘Seeking Searching’ stands as the first to come from her forth coming EP.



The Fat Blog caught up with the talented Miss Walton and she gave us an insight into her past, present & future.....



With the imminent release of your superb debut single,‘Seeking Searching’ it must be an extremely busy time for you. Tell us a bit about your background and how it all started for you?


Superb! Why Thank-you :) It's always a busy time for me..lol..I work, act, sing, perform and enjoy Hollyoaks when I can! Seeking Searching was the song that became the turning point for me gaining acclaim across the board. I sing that song to audiences from urban to mature from Christian to (you get the gist) and it’s always well received. I think as long as you have a message that people can relate to or want to hear then the genre doesn't matter and your voice is just the catalyst.



On your myspace profile, you mention some of your influences. To what extent has your mother influenced you as a person?


My mum is the highest earthly influence in my life. She is so positive, strong straight-talking and a blessing. We have such a laugh but at the same time she will still tell it how it needs to be told If need be :) Only last weekend she helped me with a new track of mine..she doesn't sing but she can hold a tune enough to help out with backing vocal ideas and she is definitely honest enough to critique if whether or not the track is whack!



We've been doing our research so please give us the ‘low down’ on your meeting with Estelle...how did it feel to receive positive feedback from one of the people who inspired you?


For me Estelle is living my dream, her along with Floetry gained the kind of success I am striving for and beyond. They have a credible background of live performance, a strong British following, have stayed true (to an extent) to their musical preference, and have broken America...Voila..Success! Estelle told me to keep at it and if I can't get signed do it myself buy setting up a label , or finding an outlet, or selling my music online. So after The MTV Hugo Boss Urban Rules competition where I met here, I

have been working harder and really took her advice on board. Hence Seeking Searching will be out for online download at the end of August.



Your track entitled “Lost in you” – this is a very strong and emotional song title. What was your inspiration?


My First Love.



Every teenager dreams of fame and all the trappings – was this ever your motivation or are you not really into the whole fame thing?


Of course..MUHAHAHAHA! No for real I just want to do the thing that makes me happy really really well, and in doing so make others happy...if this leads to nice houses cars and wealth who am I to complain!



Describe your music in 3 words?


Soul-ternative
Charleston
Jazz


What are your long term goals & ambitions?

After recently playing Nina Simone in theatre production 'Nina and Shaz' I know that acting is definitely in my future just as much as music. It's hard to plan but I like to take opportunities as they come and continue refining and developing my talent. Eventually I would like to have a career in the West End, on Broadway as well as in the music industry, a sort of Jennifer Hudson, Beyonce, Jill Scott, Jamie Fox, Fantasia kinda success but I'd have to say I'm aiming to be just as strong an actress as a singer rather than one over the other ( no disrespect!).



And we always like to end on a random note so tell us 3 interesting facts about yourself?


Fried Dumplins and Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie are my weakness'. I often sleep in rollers, I'm scared of the Thriller video and still haven't watched it in it's entirety.


Thanks for your time Wreh-asha and we look forward to following your incredible journey.

The debut single 'Seeking Searching' is out at the end of Aug so make sure you grab your copy!


Interview: Rhian Chodak

No comments: