Tuesday 4 August 2009

Fat Chat: Fairy Tale Folk from the Beatrix Players

Meet the Beatrix Players, a four piece female band formed very recently in May 2009. The songs are an original mix of fairytale folk, rock and classical melodies.

The ladies performed at Fat Talent LIVE back in June and went down a storm with their unique sound. I was eager to find out more about the band, the music and what makes the tick...read on



RC -What inspired/ influenced you to start composing your songs and why?


Helena : Life. Writing is a therapy, a need to create, and if you have it in you, then you can’t stop it. I have been inspired by many people and events, but I think I started when I had my own stories to tell.

Amy: I think I’d have to say my father. From an early age, my twin and I were introduced to the melodies of Simon and Garfunkel, the lyrics of Joni Mitchell and the pure genius of the Beatles! A great childhood of music makes all the difference!



RC - What challenges have you come across in the music industry, so far?


Amanda: It's hard to make a break, meet the 'right people' who can appreciate us & have confidence in us.

Helena : Nothing is a challenge, just an adventure.

Amy: I’m with you on that Helena love, go and get it!! Anything is possible if you let your

mind get over its own obstacles!



RC - If you had to describe the meaning of your music in three words- what would these be?


Amanda: FAIRY TALE FOLK! just kidding..meaningful, genuine, fresh

Helena: Quirky, Literal, Lateral

Amy: Packs a punch! :o)


RC - Which performer inspires you the most and why?


Helena : I could give about a million answers. I love Ani DiFranco, she has a fantastic energy, and writes songs that are very emotive. But, the rest of the band also inspire me, Amys melodies push me to write in new and interesting styles, Amandas precision inspires me to achieve the best performance possible, and Rachels riffs make me dance.

Amy: Apart from the great ladies that I work with, who inspire me every practise, every gig, I’d have to say Eddi Reader. I love the warmth of her vocal and the way she appears perfectly at home on the stage. Inspiring.


RC - Where do you see yourself in 5 years?


Amanda: Away from 9-5 office work and finally living off music touring the world

Helena: On tour, still creating music and noise.

Amy: With at least 1 timeless album under our belts and plenty of wonderful gigs booked and the best bit, lots of pairs of ears on our music!


RC - Amy other comments you would like to make?


Amanda: It's people like 'the fat talent' who inspire you to keep working harder for something you believe in.

Helena : Does anybody know the point of Golf Shoes?

Amy: England for the ashes!!!


RC - The last question is totally out of context: Lady Gaga or La Roux?


Amanda: neither..scary dresses and red hair..?

Helena : Are they brands of coffee? They are both successful and doing what makes them happy, but I’m more of a live band girl!

Amy: I’m stuck in the 60’s!! No further comment


Interview: Rhian Chodak

No comments: