Friday 27 February 2009

Working out.......


If you thought networking was easy....you must be joking! It takes A LOT of time and its none of this join 3000 websites then let the magic happen, oh no.  You have gotta go out there and get it.  Keep regular contacts with the groups, email or message the individuals that make those groups, post discussion topics, add images, keep your profile regularly updated and looking fresh....the list goes on.  It is hard work.
However it seriously is who you know not what you know in many cases.  

My first photography job was through a recommendation or rather an emergency!  A friends sister headed an events company and their photographer had dropped out, it was taking Pictures for the Lords Lunch charity gig in association with Special Olympics Britain, so it was a good gig.  Anyway, after a small heart murmur I did the job and ta da....more work from them.  Someone I met there then offered me further work, then my friends who also owned an events management company passed my details onto someone else.  I did that job and they loved it, so I did more work for them.  I met their web designers for this second job and we got on really well, so they then recommended me to one of their clients.  This is networking....this is who you know & not what you know.  Ok ok, if you were rubbish at your job or not good to work with naturally people would not pass on your name so I am in no way saying quality and customer service does not pay....it's just a good indicator as to how networking can make things happen.  

Now it is more important than ever to network....times are tough and in all honesty, I am feeling it baby!  So get your name on those sites and make the most of them; have a good business profile written, get testimonials or comments from companies or people you have worked with, add pictures or samples of the product / service you provide and make it easy as a big slice of apple pie for people to get hold of you.

Work it baby work it.......

Foto x


No comments: