Thursday 29 January 2009

Fat Chat: UK Raptress ..'Poni'

In the lead up to her 2nd Fat Talent LIVE performance on the 8th Feb, we meet female rap sensation 'Poni'. Her style of Music is Rap/Hip-Hop/RnB, catchy and tantalising. She poses a creative difference in the world of Hip-Hop Music with her British accent and slamming US style beats and some songs have a Reggae flavour. As a Songwriter, her songs are filled with creative innovative concepts which are distinctive, thought provoking and exciting!.....

Welcome Poni, so much seems to have happened for you over the last few years; I know there must have been some blood sweat & tears involved so tell us how it all began?
Hi Fat Talent, Good to be back with you. Writing music/poetry was a way for me to express my emotions and feelings, it was the only way I could truly open up and say what was on my mind. I could release my passion, aggressions, loves and dislikes through words and music, I always feel so good after writing. I started taking organ lessons when I was 4 years old and learnt to play many other instruments. Rap music is what I feel most drawn to and good rap tune totally takes over me. I'm a rap fiend or should I say fanatic. Anyways, I got to the position I'm in right now by believing in my dream, never stopping what I love to do and being a real hustler, overcoming fears, taking risks and knowing that anything we want can be a reality.

I know you had a mighty successful 2008, but one of the highlights has got to be starring in the Biggie Smalls movie, set for UK release in the next few months..how did this all come about?
I spent almost half of 2008 in New York City, I wanted to get my music out there and express my talents so I registered with different casting agencies. I was so shocked when I got the email then call asking me to be in the Biggie Smalls life story movie 'Notorious'. It really was a honor, BIG was an amazing Artist. I was fortunate enough to have lunch on set with Gravy(plays Biggie Smalls) and Denace Da Menace (plays Biggies best friend) and briefly meet Mrs Voletta Wallace Notorious BIG's mother.


And this year has got off to a flying start with the recent release of your eagerly awaited debut album 'whip it'. Aside from global domination (lol) ...what else can we expect from you in 2009?
Hahha, I'm definately gonna be pushing this year and doing more collaborations. I am on the new G-Unit/Gallic Wars mixtape Hosted by Hot Rod with Rider pt3 remix with the G-unit fam, out February 09. I'll be off touring soon and working on new ways to create stage shows that haven't been done by a hip-hop artist before. Basically pushing boundaries. Charity work is also gonna be on the forefront of my agenda, doing my part to make the world a better place and promote positive change.


As we mentioned @ the beginning you will performing @ Fat Talent LIVE in a couple of weeks time, where else can we catch a live performance over the next few weeks?
I'll be in Bristol on the sat 31st Jan @ The Blue Mountain Club, please check my myspace page for the exact address and future shows. I have a live radio interview with Dj Original Memzee on www.phatbeats.net on Saturday 31st January 5-7pm


...Any words of advice for anyone looking to make serious moves in the hip hop scene?
Well, someone asked me a question today which first sounded strange but it inspired me to answer this question. Basically they said to me "Poni, do you like and listen to rap music". I laughed and said I LOVE Rap music, could never live without it. I found it a strange question because how could anyone say they're a rapper without loving the music, then my eyes became open to the truth that some people rap but don’t love Rap music. So basically what I can say to up and coming musicians, Is LOVE what you do. LOVE the ART & LOVE the music. When you do something with your heart you're being true to yourself and that's what it’s about; music = expression of self.

We always like to end on a random note...so how many pairs of shoes do you own....(and we want the truth! lol) ?
I own at least 3 pairs of shoes in each colour, and around 12 pairs of black shoes!
A big thank you to Poni for fitting us her busy schedule.The debut album is available for download on the links below, so go on…. put your money where your mouth is & Support UK music;-)

LINKS TO DOWNLOAD "WHIP IT"
iTunes
www.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=299272072&s=143444
eMusic
www.emusic.com/album/Poni-Whip-It-MP3-Download/11350039.html
Play.com
www.play.com/Music/MP3-Download-Album/4-/8402834/Whip-It/Product.html
Datz
www.datz.com/detail.php?id=5433414
Rhapsody
www.rhapsody.com/album/whip-it?artistId=0

Interview: Fusion

No comments: