Monday 19 January 2009

Beat Me

So people its 2000 and fine and you know what, I’m just hoping we get a lot more great music this year. Ok, insider info, we are going to get a lot more killa tunes, amazing clubs bangers from waft of genre’s and some of the familia faces from 2008 are definitely stepping up their game. That all I can say, I’m sorry, no more nipple twisting! [Ed. Weirdo].

So in this short but sweet write up, I’m just going to give you a little taste of the kinds of things being formulated from the various studio’s and labels both in the UK and overseas.

Chase and Status ft Kano – Against all odds

First off I gotta start with the big one. Chase and Status put out their latest creation ‘More Than A lot’ last year, to a great reception from the DnB scene. I actually went to see them alongside Plan B in Fabric in November last year and boy, enough said! If you haven’t heard the album yet, I recommend it, even if DnB aint your thing, its not a marmite situation so just go with it. The latest track to get the video helping is one of my favourites off the album and it features the K A himself. Now some of you may not know this, but Kano isn’t really having the best time of it at the minute. He had a big joint ‘Hustler’ which Base and U only played five times last year and radio hardly gave it airplay, industry politics! But this time round he’s sticking the bird to them all and with the CnS flavour on this funky record they cant really go far wrong. (I know that’s not propa English, but it sounds right, OK!).



Alesha Dixon – Breath Slow

Ok, imagine the scene, its about 9am on a Saturday morning, your flicking through the music channels and you find Alesha stepping out in some over coat singing like some love lost puppy. Your thinking, ‘ok? Where’s this going?’, then after a few seconds, the beat kicks in. Nice little surprise that, init! You wont believe me when I tell you this, but its true, this record is actually produced by Xenomania, the team behind most of the Girls Aloud singles, Sugababes and believe it or not, Dannii Minogue. Ok, with Dannii they got it so wrong (got to pay the bills though aint ya?) but this time round they have definitely got it so right. Maybe they just needed an artist like Alesha to give them the incentive to put out a really good RnB record. I love this record, the intro is a bit off with that little drum pop in the background (which I think they should have left out till the drums kick in) but that’s just me being anal. Its hard to believe that the same guys who wrote dodgy lyrics like #Your gonna make me, make me love you# (Girls Aloud – The Promise) wrote this track, but you know what, its ok, its just music, and, G A aint that bad, when they stand in the background and the video fades out.



Ghetto – Sing for me/ Sing for me Remix

Now, I’m a big UK music fan, I looove it, but I do have my issues. Like some of the things we put out are more questionable than American voting habits. That said, my boy Ghetto aka Ghetts, has been doing his thoinga thang (word check Missy Elliot) and coming up trumps each and every time. ‘Sing for me’ was a big tune last year and he was also smart enough to get an electro funk remix of it done for the clubs, wicked. I’m putting up both videos just in case any of you doughnuts didn’t catch the original. Ok, apologies, I’m grateful you read my articles and I do enjoy your feed back, but come on, ‘Sing for me’ was such an original track and video, missing it from the huge amounts of airplay it got last year is kinda like saying, Obama who?

Watch out for Kano in the video as well. Nice to see other artists supporting their fellow man. One piece of advice though Ghetts, shades in video’s are to me what cakes are to 40 stone people, a no no.





Lykke Li – Little Bit (CSS remix)

Be honest now, how many of you have heard of Lykke Li? No? shame on you! The Swedish songstress has been helping me find the energy for my Friday night mayhem for well over seven months now. She’s got a few tunes up and around MTV now and I’m hoping she blows up the funky house scene with the remixes that all these DJ’s have been doing of her material. She’s like a younger version of Mylo, and that’s definitely a good thing in my book. Here’s one of my favourite remixes from the killa CSS crew. Also for all you youtubers out there, when your surfing for songs online, this is a good example of why clicking on that random ‘remix’ video option can sometimes turn into your story of the day. Enjoy



Beyonce – Halo

Last, but by no means least, ‘Halo’ by Beyonce finally gets the video treatment. Fair enough, it’s not the most original video, but I think they were going for that whole, let the music speak for itself thing. I’m not the biggest slow jam fan, partly because most of them are just boring, partly because, most of them are just boring. ‘Halo’ on the other hand, I really got into from the first time I heard it. She sings in a completely different style compared with her other records, which is a nice change. I like the way she drops down the scales after the first line like she’s singing an indie track, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Adele or someone does an acoustic remix of it, hint hint. This will make a great song for a wedding, if your thinking of getting married in the near future, or, if you f’d up and want to impress, I’m pretty sure this record and few flowers will help her forgive you for accidentally throwing her the phone which hit her bottom lip. I’m sorry!



Hope you like the songs and comment on the ones you like and the ones you don’t.

Bless

Freestyle

No comments: